Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Member Feature: Bowrene's Things

Tell us a little about your shop.
My shop is full of hats and other wearables and toys for babies and adults alike.

What brought you to etsy?
I love the site and the community as a shopper and it just seemed like the kind of place where I could do well and where I could sell items that are premade in addition to giving me a forum for creating custom items (custom orders are my fave!)

How long have you been crafting?
I started crocheting when I was 9...so about 15 years ago! I was taught to crochet by my late great-grandmother and then I self taught. I also am a self taught knitter, but that ability is still in the works.

What is your favorite item in your shop right now?
My favorite item is my chocolate ribbed newsboy hat. I love the buttons, the ribbing, the brim, EVERYTHING about it!

What is your "day job?"
I am a graduate teaching assistant and teach discussion sections for a course called "Language and the Mind." I'm also a student pursuing my master's degree in Linguistics and will continue on with my PhD work next year. I'm working on my thesis right now.
Where do you find inspiration?
Everywhere (so cliche). Sometimes I just wander the local yarneries and think "what could I do with this?" A lot of my projects reflect nature--I love making flowers. I also am inspired by the winter itself. Working with wool lends itself to developing hats that cover as much of the head as possible while still being cute! My son also inspires me. I love making hats just for him.

What is one thing you wish you could do better?
I wish I could knit better. I've just started up again, and I love to do it, but my brain wants to switch into crochet mode on occasion.
What is one crafting tool you couldn't live without?
My needles! Especially those I inherited from my great-grandmother. They are really special to me.
What is your favorite book/movie/song?
My favorite book has to be the Harry Potter series, but I'm also really into some of the classics. I am in the middle of a Vonnegut phase. My favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz (helloooo Kansan here!)My favorite song is Philosophy by Ben Folds. It gets me going when I have a big project to do.
Where else can we find you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats high to you send, will look ahead for the duration of more related articles soon as its one of my choice question to read.

Caroline said...

I have the brown newsboy hat for my little guy, and it is simply precious. I actually have a matching one for myself! Bowrene's hats are amazing quality & craftsmanship. I highly recommend them!