Friday, August 20, 2010

Team Interview: Naming your shop

Q: How did you come up with a name for your shop?


MadasPlace and MadasPlaceBaby- A friend suggested the name to me. My son's name is Adam, and when you spell it backward you get Mada. I started my shop right after he was born as a way to keep myself busy since I didn't return to work.

~~~
FourHarpDesigns- The name for Four Harp Designs comes from biblical imagery. In the Bible, the number four is used to symbolize creation (e.g. the four elements, the four directions, four corners of the earth). Occasionally I design logos for my shop with the number four inverted like a reflection. This is to symbolize that everything we are (creativity included) is a reflection of part of who God is. My creative side is a reflection of God's creativity. Harps, in the Bible, are an instrument of praise. I hope that my shop, my designs, my work can be used to bring praise to God as well. So from this, I came up with Four Harp Designs!

~~~
GoAgainsttheGrain- Mine is pretty easy. I LOVE wood grain patterns, and I wanted to make sure I did tried to do things that were different and unique so that is how I chose Go Against the Grain.

~~~

EmbellishedBayou- I definitely wanted something that incorporated my home state (Louisiana), so that's where Bayou comes from, and since most of the things I make are embellished in some way, "Embellished" was the perfect word to go along with Bayou! I like it because it's descriptive enough yet broad enough to allow it to encompass a variety of products.

~~~

CashmereCuddles- The first few baby carriers I made were silk and cashmere, hence Cashmere Cuddles.

~~~

ProsttotheHost- It was hard to think of my shop's name, since I also had to first think of a business name for party planning. I wanted something easy to say and that flowed nicely. Prost in German means "cheers" and obviously, hosting is an integral part of any party. But I had so many failed names that just didn't seem to fit.
~~~

CarriedAwaybyPaper- I was actually browsing through a magazine and thought of it, there was a tagline that had Carried Away....and I added the "by paper" since everything (well basically) I have in my shop is made with some type of paper product or can be printed on paper

~~~

JessicaRaeJewellery- About 20 years ago my neice was born and was named Ashlie Rae.... I feel in love with the name Rae and wished so much it was MY middle name. Im adopted and about 6 years ago I set out in search of my birth family. When I received my original birth records Im almost passed out from shock.... there it was my oringal birth name - *Jessica Rae * I just KNEW when I needed to come up with a name for my jewellery that I HAD to use it, it felt kismet! Also has a great ring to it IMO - JessicaRae Jewellery
~~~

BellaMiaBowsnThings- Bella Mia Bows & Things was born soon after my daughter was. when my daughter was born, i used to sing her a lullaby in italian that i had made up with the words "bella bella mia"...and then i used to call her "bella mia" as a little nickname which in italian means "my beautiful one" (i guess thats a decent enough translation)...so when i had to pick a name for my shop i wanted to do something in honor of my daughter, but didnt want to use her name...so i came up with "Bella Mia Bows"....i added the "& Things" because i wanted to have the option of adding different things to my shop aside from just bows. good thing i did, since i added headbands, stationery, and scrabble jewelry.
~~~

PersonallySpeaking- I wanted the name to identify that I do personalized items -- and I like a catchy title.... so I came up with PersonallySpeaking!
~~~

DamaskDiva- Mine came from my husband...everytime we went somewhere and I saw something damask I just had to have it for our wedding. So, eventually, he just started calling me the damask diva and it kinda stuck.
~~~

CupcakeDream- The store name was actually created for my baby blog, but I thought it worked well for both.
My daughter was an emergency delivery due to health complications. While I was waiting to go into surgery, I was scared, feeling alone and in tears. One of the nurses noticed I was having a hard time. She came over and sat down next to the bed and held my hand. Although she didn't say much, I do remember a phrase she repeated over and over again. "Soon all of your sweet dreams will come true".
Then I decided to use the word "Cupcake" because that is what I call my daughter. I like to play a game with her where I nom nom on her belly and tell her that I'm eating the strawberry filling. Then I nibble on her fingers and toes and say that those are her sprinkles. Then I kiss her cheeks and tell her that she is my yummy cupcake. She loves it!!
So, she is my sweet dream and my little cupcake. Hence the name "Cupcake Dream".
~~~

Mary*Mule- When I first started, I was making tote bags, but I knew I didn't want my name to be too descriptive with "tote bags" in the name, because I knew I would eventually make other things. And I didn't want something generic like "Mary's Creations." I eventually just chose mary*mule because it is one of my husband's nicknames for me. Because he thinks I am stubborn like a mule. But I think he is really the stubborn one ;)
~~~

Bowrene- My name is Breanna Irene, and when I was little and tried to say my whole name, it would come out "Bowrene" so that's been my nickname ever since. Simple yet unique!
~~~

SwishDesigns- I started my business using the word "swish" because I like the way it sounded...and since I was doing so many custom monograms, I was always talking about swirls and swooshes and the like. Swish sort of evolved from that.
~~~

2Birdstone- I came up with 2birdstone because I was on a major bird kick with designing my wedding items (I love birds, my husband is a pilot, etc.) and I wanted to create digital designs that were budget friendly, thus killing two birds with one stone. There is a defunct myspace band by the same name.

1 comment:

LadieJaye and Elegance Boutique said...

Mine came from my name. My name is Johnna and I had my signature in my phone for texting as Lady Jaye but Etsy wouldn't let e use Lady so I spelled it Ladie and it worked fine :)