Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Member Feature: Certainly Chic

Tell us a little about your shop.
Certainly Chic is a place for brides and anyone planning an event to purchase unique additions for their event. At the moment, it's mostly focused upon weddings but once summer hits, we will be branching out into parties of all types. It's a place for your vision to come into focus and for me to help you achieve a look you've spotted.

What brought you to etsy?
I used it during my own wedding planning and really came to love the site. I think it's a fabulous place for handmade items (and vintage goodies). I love the "environment" and the people who frequent the site. It's fabulous!

How long have you been crafting?
As long as I can remember, actually. I used to love doing all sorts of things as a kid and in my high school years was nicknamed "Martha Stewart" by my volleyball teammates. I was always in charge of putting together a unique handmade gift for a friend, making signs for our school, or making the costumes and props for our school's marathon dance contests. I am a HUGE scrapbooker and absolutely love it. I have way too much piling up right now but that's another post. ;)

What is your favorite item in your shop right now?
It's hard to choose. For weddings, I love the parasols. They are so fun and beautiful. I want to get married again and use one! For more "everyday", the cake server set. I have started doing the same bead styling to everyday serving ware we use for guests. I made my mom a set for Christmas to go with her new kitchen. She LOVES it and everyone always comments on it, which makes me smile. :)
What is your "day job?"
I am a Title I teacher at a small Christian school in Washington, DC. I work with impoverished children who are struggling in reading and mathematics.

Where do you find inspiration?
Everywhere! I love watching extravagent wedding shows and coming up with ways to get those looks at a much more budget friendly price for brides. I also adore looking at paint chips in home improvement stores. My husband thinks I'm crazy but seeing all those beautiful shades and chips really allows me to connect colors I might not normally have used before and utilize them in my own crafts.

What is one thing you wish you could do better?
I wish I could reach out to more people on etsy. I just don't have a ton of time between teaching full time and current orders to really put myself out there more. Thank goodness I have summers off for that, though.

What is one crafting tool you couldn't live without?
My cutterbees. I pink puffy heart them.

What is your favorite book/movie/song?
Book - Anything Sophie Kinsella right now. I have a high stress job and reading her on the metro is so relaxing and light-hearted. Just what I need! Movie - Newsies. Hands down the best ever. Christian Bale had me at "...but people call me Cowboy". Song - This always varies but I definitely love anything Frank Sinatra or Michael Buble.

Where else can we find you?
My blog is being revamped as we speak and will be posted on twitter (CertainlyChic) when it's unveiled! :)


Thanks Heather!

No comments: